Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Music in our generation

Standing in Kohl’s yesterday, I overheard two people talking about the Nickelback song that had come on the radio. “Oh my god, this song brings me to tears,” says one and the other replied “I know, isn’t Nickelback such a good band?”

Normally, I could give a hoot as to what you listen to, but seriously? Nickelback? If you enjoy listening to music that is based around the same tone of voice, the same chords, the same rhythmic patterns, and the same everything, then I suppose you would like them. Personally, I don’t think they’re anything to write home about.

Don’t take me as being pretentious in saying that everybody should listen to high-brow jazz or classical, turn on Rush for your rock fix, and all that other complex stuff. I listen to Lily Allen and the Spice Girls when I’m bored. At least they have a different flavor to each song. I don’t feel like I’m going to a white bread buffet.

A few years ago the biggest thing was Linkin Park. Now, I remember I tried getting into them when Hybrid Theory was released, but after a month of playing the record on and off, I realized that I still couldn’t tell the difference from song to song. They all sounded exactly alike. This has been a trend for YEARS, but I don’t recall a previous generation that revered this music so much. Perhaps I am pretentious. *Turns up Beethoven*

No comments:

Post a Comment